We all tend to pay attention to our skin and even more attention to our organs. But somehow we forget the fact that dry lips are a thing and ignore the machine that takes part in our talking and eating, leaving our amiable kiss facilitator unattended to.
Weirdly enough, dry lips are very common. The good thing is that the unpleasing sight, sores, and pain experienced as symptoms of dry lips are very much treatable and most importantly, preventable.
Let’s run a quick lip examination.
Answer these questions to help you identify the symptoms of dry lips.
Are your lips swollen?
Do your lips feel cracked?
Do your lips look flaky?
Do you feel the need to want to peel off dry skin off your lips?
Are you experiencing bleeding from your lips without any prior injury infliction whatsoever?
If you answered YES to at least two of the questions above, you might be suffering from dry lips. Before delving into how to care for your dry lips, it is only wise that the causes of dry lips are considered first.
What do you think causes the lips to dry out?
Dry lips, also known as chapped lips, may be caused by a lot of factors.
- Low moisture: The lips are naturally prone to dryness because they are devoid of oil glands. When the lips are left without moisturizing it for a prolonged period; the skin on the lip dries up.
- Licking, biting, and chewing on lips: If you are the type that takes delight in licking your lips as if they were a lollipop, now is the time to stop that act. Because each time the saliva evaporates, it strips the lips of moisture which results in dryness.
- Environmental influence: Chapped lips may occur more during the winter period where there is little humidity in the air, which may get worse during the summertime upon regular exposure to the sun.
- Dehydration and malnutrition: When the body falls short of water, the lips along with other body parts, suffer dryness.
- Dry skin: Although dry lips may happen to anyone, the risk bar is raised for people with dry skin types.
Ailments: People who are suffering from diseases such as type 1 and 2 diabetes, or have their immune system compromised, experience flaky lips.
Having known the causes of lip dryness, do well to read till the end to find out the best ways on how to care for your dry lips.
- Moisturize and soothe the lips every now and then by employing natural home remedies such as:
- Aloe Vera gel: Ensure you apply the gel from the leaves on the dry lips and allow it to sit for a while. So the antioxidants, Vitamins, minerals can act on the lips. Thus, rehydrating and soothing the lip.
- Coconut Oil to the rescue: Because the skin on the lips is thin on, all-time lip moisturizing is needed. This natural oil is a special one as it loosens up as well as moisturizes the lips.
- Tomato paste does wonder: Apply on your dry lips. Leave for 10-15 minutes and rinse. This is for rejuvenation, plus it is a superb way to treat dark, peeling lips.
- Turmeric and milk paste: Milk in turmeric is another brilliant treat you can subject your dry lips. All you need do is make a paste of milk and turmeric powder. Apply unto lips and leave for about five minutes. Scrub mildly while washing it off.
- Almond oil: The essential nutrients like Vitamin C and E, together with other antioxidants in almond oil, helps to moisturize dry lips. Make sure you apply the oil lavishly on your dry lips for a soft and supple feel.
- Honey: Honey is a superb natural moisturizer. When applied on the dry lips, the antioxidant and antibacterial properties it contains makes infection challenging to break out of the cracked lips.
- Cucumber: Cucumber is rich in moisture and vitamins to improve the ugly dry lips appearance. Ensure to eat cucumber regularly.
- Regularly apply lip balm, lip gloss, or other healthy commercial lip products both in the day and overnight.
- Stay hydrated. Drink 2 liters of water daily. By doing this, you get loaded on fluids from inside out.
- Quit licking, picking, sucking, and chewing your lips. Doing one or all of these leaves your lips dry and rough. Picking the patches is not a good idea either as it causes irritation. If you happen to lick or suck your lips, immediately apply a lip balm.
Pro Tip: The best lip products are the ones that contain shea butter, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, hemp seed oil, castor seed oil. So when next you are out shopping for your lip products, look out for these ingredients.
Bonus Information: Stop any lip product if it gives you a burning or stinging sensation. It means it isn’t right for you.
More of such information is available on our website.
Don’t forget that your lips are as important as other parts of your body. So, pay close attention to it, henceforth.Please share and like: